Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Grace

Then the Lord raised up judges, who saved them out of the hand of those who plundered them. Yet they did not listen to their judges, for they whored after other gods and bowed down to them. They soon turned aside from the way in which their fathers had walked, who had obeyed the commandments of the Lord, and they did not do so. Whenever the Lord raised up judges for them, the Lord was with the judge, and he saved them from the hand of their enemies all the days of the judge. For the Lordwas moved to pity by their groaning because of those who afflicted and oppressed them. - Judges 2:16-18
It crazy to think how throughout the entire Bible, God's grace continues strong. This passage right in hear in judges speaks to God's grace - continually extended even when the people continued to abandon God, in fact falling worse and worse than those before them. And yet God continually raised up judges, being with the judges, and drawing His people out of their oppression. Throughout the Bible we see story after story of God's love and grace, true there are consequences for the sinful actions, but continually God spares or lessens, drawing His people back to Him. And boy, am I thankful for that.

I continually need reminded that God's grace is new every day - not so that I may sin, but so that I know, in the midst of my downfalls, God continually draws me back to him. I reflect and look at the likes of David, a man after God's own heart, and just how deep his failures were. I look at Paul, a man who according to all standards of men, would never be used by God. And yet God chose them, chose tax collectors, chose prostitutes, and I rejoice, knowing that God can and has used the likes of me. I can't explain it, I don't deserve it. But I rejoice that God is "the same yesterday, today, and forever." And that while my actions have consequences I am redeemed and made new, that I wash my feet every day from the dirt which accumulated, knowing my whole self has been washed in the blood of Christ. And I take a deep breath, and take the new day God has given me.

Praise God for His grace and mercy, extended daily. Let us press forward, relying on God for strength, resisting, yet knowing that when we fall, Christ picks us back up again. Let us not make light His grace, but let us remember each day is a new day.

- Brummy

No comments:

Post a Comment